At Kirby Medical Center, we continue our tradition of exceptional care to all those in need in our Emergency Department and Convenient Care. Knowing that an experienced team is close to home is essential for any community. Our Emergency Department is staffed 24 hours a day by board certified emergency physicians who are part of the Piatt and Champaign County communities. All are advanced life support (ALS) certified and experienced in caring for patients from simple check-up’s to trauma. Our Emergency Department Nurses are also specially trained in emergency care and the Paramedics and EMT’s of Kirby Ambulance work side-by-side with the nurses and physicians to care for you.
Because Kirby is part of a regional hospital network, we refer patients to specialists at Carle, Christie Clinic, and Provena Covenant in Champaign and Urbana; and St. Mary's and Decatur Memorial Hospital in Decatur.
When You Should Seek Emergency Care
Always consider dialing 911 first when you or a family member is in need of emergency care. Medical emergencies are as varied as the people who have them. We most often see patients with the following:
- Cardiac problems, including shortness of breath and heart attacks
- Injuries from automobile, snowmobile, motorcycle and other vehicular accidents
- Injuries as the result of falls
- Broken bones or other orthopedic problems that result from minor or serious accidents
- Playground, athletic, workplace and school related injuries
- Asthma and other breathing emergencies
- Severe pain and/or bleeding
- Acute psychiatric problems or emotional distress
- Acute episodes of chronic disease or illness
- Injuries caused by domestic or other types of violence
Napoleon B. Knight, Jr., M.D.
Emergency Department Medical Director